Member Category Definitions
- One who either (1) passed the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) Certified First Assistant (CFA) national certifying examination and maintains certification as defined by the NBSTSA; (2) passed the National Surgical Assistants (NSAA) Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA) national certifying and maintains certification as defined by the NSAA; or (3) any other surgical assistant credential acceptable to the ASA.
- Active members have voice and vote.
- One who has passed the national certifying examination in the field of surgical technology offered by the NBSTSA to become a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST).
- One who has proof of either having completed or being currently enrolled as a student in a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited surgical assisting program or its equivalent.
- One whose primary source of employment is teaching in a CAAHEP-accredited surgical assisting program or its equivalent.
- Associate members have voice but not vote.
- Passed the American Board of Surgical Assistants (ABSA Surgical Assistant—Certified (SA-C) national certifying examination and maintains certification as defined by the ABSA.
- Please refer to Associate member.
- Any individual or organization that wishes to affiliate with ASA and is approved by the ASA as defined in the ASA Policy Manual.
- Affiliate members have voice but no vote.